Words of Comfort and Truth
If you have spent time in our site you will realize and that we have gone through many losses from divorce to death of a child, from death of a sibling to AIDS to the complete destruction of a home to fire and numerous other trials. Through these times of loss and grief there have been consistent words of truth that have comforted each of us. Sometimes they were shared with us by friends and at other times we encouraged while reading the Word.
This will be an on-going development area that the two of us add to as we review all of the wonderful ways the Lord has comforted us through others and through his Word. We hope that you too find comfort in this. Enjoy.
“comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.” - 2 Corinthians 1:4
“The one [the Spirit of God] who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world” - 1 John 4:4
2 Corinthians 4:8-12 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body. So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.
· Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. - Hebrews 11:1
· The man of faith will not be governed by his circumstances.
· Oswald Chambers: Faith is not intelligent understanding, faith is deliberate commitment to a Person where I see no way.
· Loyalty to Jesus means I have to step out where I do not see anything. - Matthew 14:29
· “Faith is not believing about Jesus. Faith is asking Him to do what He said He would do and expecting Him to do it.”
· “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me.” - Psalm 23:4
· “Never will I [God] leave you; never will I forsake you” - Hebrews 13:5
· Job 3: 23-26 Job is overwhelmed by the calamities that come upon him despite his right living. We must remember that: LIFE IS NOT GIVEN MERELY FOR HAPPINESS AND PERSONAL FULFILLMENT, BUT FOR US TO SERVE AND HONOR GOD!
· THE WORTH AND MEANING OF LIFE IS NOT BASED ON WHAT WE FEEL, BUT ON THE ONE REALITY THAT NO ONE CAN TAKE AWAY—GOD’S LOVE FOR US.
· Romans 8: 38 & 39 Believers have always faced hardship, which has led to fear that they have been abandoned by Christ. God tells us how great his love is for us so that if we believe in these overwhelming assurances we will not be afraid.
1 Peter 1:3-9 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade-kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith-of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire-may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
Isa 26:3-4 You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You. Trust in the LORD forever, For in YAH, the LORD, is everlasting strength. NKJV
Isa 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Matt 11:28-30 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
John 14:26-27 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
John 16:33 33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6 “Trust in the Lord with all you heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.”